Friday, October 02, 2009

The Bike Cycle

No, it's not a mistake. I did mean to type "bike cycle." The "bike cycle" as explained to me years ago by Stu is the aggregate, rolling value a person has in bikes. "The stable" is only the current manifestation of the bike cycle - the bikes you have right now. But as Rick S. (not his real name) recently pointed out, the bike cycle allows you to trade a bike you currently have for one you really want. And there's always another bike, so you keep the money in the bike cycle and keep it rolling. So, I also remind all of us of Stu's sage advice - Never take money out of the bike cycle.

7 comments:

Pat said...

big wheel keep on turnin'

dug said...

Left a good job in the city, Working for the man every night and day

Mr. Flynn said...

I am a big proponent of keeping the money that is in the inventory there. Money goes in, but it doesn't go back out...

I keep wondering if Bridget realizes that there will be 5 bikes in my stable by the end of the year. I keep waiting for her to get exasperated with me over it.

Morkthefied said...

Mr. Flynn,

As a wife, we know full well that needing two hands to count how many bikes a husband has is too many. And I should know: I have to use two hands and some toes. But like me, Bridget firmly believes that she is your WIFE and not your MOTHER. We hate it when our husbands make us be the latter. We'd much rather put on the lingerie and be reminded why it is we'd rather sleep with you than scold you.

Mr. Flynn said...

Yeah, Cindy, not really into the whole Oedipus thing either.

But the wife in lingerie is something I can get behind...er, yeah...um, anyway...too bad Bridget is away for the weekend with friends.

Two those bikes will be singlespeeds built by a friend. I mean, I had to build those up...

Morkthefied said...

I'm embarrassed I even wrote that. It was meant to be a compliment to Bridget. She's definitely not one of those women who acts more like a husband's mom. I think we all know a woman like that; Bridget is not one of them. You're a lucky man.

Mr. Flynn said...

She reminds me how lucky I am often...there is no way she will let me forget!