Monday, January 25, 2010

Mascots

I like mascots that have something to do with an area, be it animals or people. I hate Lone Peak's mascot - the knights. The Morgan Trojans. Really? On the other hand, some of my favorites from around here - the Jordan Beet Diggers and the Bingham Miners. Even as overplayed as the cowboy is as a mascot in small town Utah, at least it's relevant. Oregon has some good ones too - the Tillamook Cheesemakers and the Astoria Fightin' Fishermen. But Idaho takes the cake. Orofino, Idaho is the home of the Idaho State Mental Hospital. And the high school mascot? I present to you the Orofino Maniac:

5 comments:

Travis said...

Hey there Mr Fish... I found your blog via Sabrosa Cycles (love that guy)...

I am living in West Virginia and we have a great one here. A town named Poca used to be some sort of indian warrior name until the PC craze started doing away with any reference to people. So, they became the Poca Dots. The kids HATE it... like one of the graduates I work with said, "some old fat ladies thought it would be cute."

https://www.edline.net/pages/Poca_High_School

Pat said...

Very fine indeed.

KanyonKris said...

Maniacs, awesome. Political correctness has run it's course, it's time to relax and not be so up-tight.

I always liked the Dixie Flyers, Delta Jackrabbits, and the Lehi Pioneers - none of which strike much fear into your opponent.

Fish said...

Travis - that's awesome. For the neighboring towns, anyway.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

Salem, Utah has it's very own high school these days. I lobbied hard for them to be the Salem Loafers, but we ended up with the Skyhawks. Bummer.

http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=3297656

Hi TBW. Surprised to see you here. Welcome to the family.