Friday, August 22, 2008

Current Fave

I can't remember if I've posted on this before or not, but I'm going to post it anyway. Generally, I like George Clooney. I liked him in O' Brother, I liked him in the 'Oceans' series. I loved him in Michael Clayton. I've also been a fan of Elmore Leonard. I liked Jackie Brown. I loved Get Shorty (despite Travolta). I also like Steven Soderberg - Traffic is still one of my favorites, and as I've mentioned, I like the 'Oceans' series - even if they are formulaic. These three elements come together best for me in Out of Sight. Before I saw it, I was doubtful at best. It was a dollar movie and when were first married the dollar movies were our principle form of entertainment. We'd sit through virtually anything they showed there. And from this, Out of Sight has now emerged as one of my favorite films. Not so much that it will displace my current top two - Shawshank Redemption and Unforgiven, but it's definitely made it into my Top 5. And no, I haven't read the book. P.S. Today Brently and I headed out on an MTB ride after work. We climbed up Memory Grove, over the City Creek trail and went down Bobsled. I rode my 69er Serotta. Two things became clear: one is that I need to do more climbing and two is that I've got a phobia right now of falling and breaking my collarbone. As a conclusion, I don't think I'm ready to do real mountain biking yet. I need more fitness, more complete healing, and more confidence. Hopefully, I'll have the legs and the confidence back in time for fall perfection. I'm guessing at this, but I'm guestimating total mileage today at about 10 miles, taking me to 510 down with 490 to go.

5 comments:

Mr. Flynn said...

It took me awhile to feel it again after breaking my wrist. Totally understand.

dug said...

loved out of sight. jlo's best work. which i acknowledge isn't saying much.

soderbergh is the master. sex lies and videotape. etc.

and this clooney feller, i predict he's got a future. even if the movie is bad, he's good. intolerable cruelty, for example. bad movie, he's good.

michael clayton=brilliant film.

tell me your top five.

dug

Fish said...

Dug - all-time top five: Shawshank Redemption, Unforgiven, Fargo, Godfather Part II, and Love, Actually.

Out of Sight, The Dark Knight, The Big Lebowski, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and Miller's Crossing would round out the top ten. What can I say, I really like the Coen brothers.

Patrick Lindsay said...

Wow. I've only seen 5 of your top 10. We've got to borrow the others.

PS Thanks so much for the DirecTV piece of equipment. It's awesome!

MarySquare said...

Fish, your best movies list is such a dude's list. And truthfully, my top 10 is definitely a ladies list. But... Out of Sight is in my top 10 too. That movie is sexy in all kinds of ways.

And the book, almost exactly like the screenplay. Leonard helped write the screenplay from the book and some places are word for word. Skip the book I say and watch the movie again. And the editing in Out of Sight is so so cool -- but I'm giving the credit for that to Anne Coates not Soderbergh.